Ms. Jennifer Bennett, Principal of Thornton Creek Elementary School has informed the district of her decision to leave Northville Public Schools in order to accept an opportunity to serve as a Literacy Coach in another district. While we are saddened by the news of Ms. Bennett’s departure, we wish her well and know that she will continue to utilize her skills as an instructional leader, impacting teachers and student growth in her new position. Ms. Bennett has served the Thornton Creek school community and Northville Public Schools, for three years. During her tenure at Thornton Creek, the culture of learning and leadership at the school has flourished! As a result of the collective work of an entire community – staff, together with students, parents and families – Thornton Creek achieved The Leader in Me Lighthouse status, has strengthened its school improvement processes, and has created a culture of student empowerment that continues to grow. We wish Ms. Bennett all the best as she begins this new journey, and appreciate the opportunity we have had to learn with and from her.
We consider the process of selecting a building leader to be critically important, and value the input of staff, parents, and students. The timeline and process for posting, interviewing, and hiring a principal for Thornton Creek is as follows:
• June 29, 2018 (following staff, parent and community communication) – Posting of Thornton Creek Elementary School Principal position, with an application deadline of early-July.
• July 2018 – Superintendent Mary Kay Gallagher will schedule times with Thornton Creek’ staff, students and parents to gather input and feedback regarding the desired skills and strengths sought for the leader of Thornton Creek Elementary School. Input may also be provided via e-mail to email@example.com with “Thornton Creek Principal” in the subject line.
• Mid-July 2018 - The Office of Human Resources, in consultation with the Central Office Leadership Team, will conduct the initial screening of applicants. Mr. David Rodgers, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources, will engage selected applicants in an initial phone interview.
• Mid to Late-July 2018 - Selected applicants will attend an initial onsite interview with members of the Central Office Leadership Team.
• End of July 2018 - Finalists will participate in a full panel interview with representatives from Thornton Creek teachers, parents, principal representatives and district administration representatives; and final interview(s) with the Superintendent.
• August 2018 – Thornton Creek Principal named and brought forward for Board consideration at a Board of Education meeting.
Thornton Creek Elementary School is a dynamic school, with a dedicated staff, a supportive parent community, and wonderful students. We look forward to building on the work that exemplifies Thornton Creek and Northville Public Schools.
Please click on the attached 7-3-18 letter for student, staff and parent input opportunities.