Good Evening Northville Public School Families and Staff,
As you may be aware, the Wayne County Health Department (WCHD) issued a notice that it has lifted its Emergency Order requiring face masks in educational settings. This is in response to a turning point in the recent COVID-19 surge, as cases and hospitalizations have significantly declined in our state and county, and in our local community.
In response to updated recommendations from both our state and local health departments, the Northville Board of Education voted tonight to update the NPS COVID-19 Mitigation Plan to allow families and staff to make individual choices regarding masking based on their own circumstances. This masking option takes effect on Tuesday, February 22, 2022. Individuals may choose to wear a mask in all NPS facilities and masks will continue to be made available for those who request one.
Northville Public Schools values the tenets of respectful interactions and is confident that our students, families and staff will treat one another with respect with regards to their personal choice. We encourage all families to have a discussion about the importance of allowing friends and classmates to choose the masking option that is best suited for them, without judgment or negative reactions to those individuals whose choices do not align with their own.
Please note that there are some areas where masks will still be required:
- The federal mask requirement remains in place on public transportation, including on school buses.
- Individuals who have tested positive (or reported to the district as a close contact) should mask through Day 10.
Northville Public Schools will continue to follow layered mitigation strategies in order to minimize transmission in our schools, including:
- Asking students and staff to use the COVID-19 Screening Tool prior to arrival at school and staying home if feeling sick,
- Maximizing distancing to the extent possible,
- Hand sanitation stations and enhanced cleaning protocols,
- Adequate supply of Personal Protective Equipment, including masks (KN95 for adults, and disposable for adults and children) available upon request, and
- Continuous monitoring of our improved ventilation systems
Thank you for your patience and perseverance in following daily symptom-screening, abiding by COVID-19 protocols,and continuing to work together for the health and safety of our students, staff, families and community.
Mary Kay Gallagher, Superintendent
Northville Public Schools